[Numpy-discussion] Numpy depends on OpenSSL ???

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Wed Sep 23 11:52:30 EDT 2009

I have discovered the hard way that numpy depends on openssl.

I am building a 64 bit python environment for the macintosh.  I
currently do not have a 64 bit openssl library installed, so the python
interpreter does not have hashlib.  (hashlib gets its md5 function from
the openssl library.)

The problem is in numpy/core/code_generators/genapi.py, where it appears
to be trying to make an md5 hash of the declarations of some of the C
functions.

What is this hash used for?  Is there a particular reason that it needs
to be cryptographically strong?

Mark S.