[Numpy-discussion] [Matplotlib-users] glumpy: fast OpenGL numpy visualization + matplotlib integration

Nicolas Rougier Nicolas.Rougier at loria.fr
Mon Sep 28 12:37:39 EDT 2009

Well, I've been starting working on a pyglet backend but it is
currently painfully slow mainly because I do not know enough of the
matplotlib internal machinery to really benefit from it. In the case
of glumpy, the use of texture object for representing 2d arrays is a
real speed boost since interpolation/colormap/heightmap is made on the
GPU.

Concerning matplotlib examples, the use of glumpy should be actually
two lines of code:

from pylab import *
from glumpy import imshow, show

but I did not package it this way yet (that is easy however).

I guess the main question is whether people are interested in glumpy
to have a quick & dirty "debug" tool on top of matplotlib or whether
they prefer a full fledged and fast pyglet/OpenGL backend (which is
really harder).

Nicolas