[Numpy-discussion] Question about improving genfromtxt errors

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:35:19 EDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> well, how does one test compare to:
>
> read the line from the file
> split the line into tokens
> parse each token
>
> I can't imagine it's significant, but I guess  you only know with
> profiling.

That's on the parsing part. I'd like to keep it as light as possible.

> How does it handle the wrong number of tokens now? if an exception is
> raised somewhere, then that's the only place you'd need to anything
> extra anyway.

It silently fails outside the loop, when the list of splitted rows is
converted into an array: if one row has a different length than the
others, a "Creating array from a sequence" error occurs but we can't
tell where the problem is (because np.array does not tell us).