[Numpy-discussion] Getting data from NDarrays to Blitz++ and back again

Philip Sterne pjs67 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 3 17:28:51 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I hope this is the correct place to post my question.  I'd like python
to interface with c++ code that makes heavy use of Blitz++ arrays.
After a day's hacking I appear to have a simple working solution which I
am attaching.  (It uses Boost.Python and CMake.)

However I believe this solution won't work if the blitz array is not
laid out contiguously in memory.  I also haven't really thought about
reference counting issues (although the example seems to work).  I
imagine that those sorts of issues will lead me to call the more
complicated:
PyArray_New(...)
or:
PyArray_NewFromDescr(...)
instead of the PyArray_SimpleNewFromData(...) that I currently use.
However I couldn't figure out some of the extra arguments from the API
documentation.

Can someone point out all the things that will break when this code
actually gets used in the real world (and maybe even how to avoid them)?

Thanks for your time!
	-Philip.