[Numpy-discussion] How do I ensure numpy headers are present in setup.py?

T J tjhnson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 23:14:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 13:26, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, unfortunate.  So the best approach then is probably just to tell
>> people to install numpy first, then my package?
>
> Yup.

And really, this isn't that unreasonable.  Not only does this make
users more aware of their environment (ie, the distinction between
your package and the major numerical package in Python), but its so
much cleaner.  With the combined approach, any NumPy installation
problems would be (frequently) associated with your package.  On the
other hand, if there are any NumPy installation problems in the
separated approach, at least your package is blameless.