[Numpy-discussion] Numpy Segmentation Fault

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 09:44:26 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Yogesh Tomar <ytomar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Many thanks for pointing this out, it turns out that it is indeed an ATLAS
> issues and now I am able to run the test without any seg fault, after
> re-installing numpy without ATLAS
>
> A small question, if I use numpy without ATLAS will there be any functions
> that will not be available?
> Is there any major performance hit that I need to be aware of?

The performance hit is likely to come with large arrays. For small arrays
the call overhead will dominate and most of the data will reside in cache
anyway. It is large arrays where the cache awareness of ATLAS makes a
difference in performance and the difference can be a substantial. Where did
you get ATLAS from? Did you build it yourself?

<snip>

Chuck