[Numpy-discussion] Name of the file associated with a memmap

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 17:30:05 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Brent Pedersen <bpederse at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:52, Charles R Harris
> > <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> harmless
> as

> >> And maybe the filename should be the whole path? Thoughts?
> >
> > Yes, that would help. While you are looking at it, you may want to
> > consider recording some of the other information that is computed in
> > or provided to __new__, like offset.
> >
> > --
> > Robert Kern
> >
> > "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
> > enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
> > though it had an underlying truth."
> >  -- Umberto Eco
> >

> copying what i asked in the ticket:
> where should i write the docs? in the file itself or through the doc
> editor? also re path, since it can be a file-like, that would have to
> be something like:
>
> if isinstance(filename, basestring):
>    filename = os.path.abspath(filename)
> self.filename = filename

Robert probably has a better grasp of these issues than I, but it looks OK
to me. As to the documentation, I not quite sure if we have an Attributes
heading for classes, but I think so. I would just put it in svn because it's
easy for me to do, but I'm not up to speed on the documentation work flow
these days. Add a note as to the numpy version, i.e., .. versionadded::
2.0.0 .

Chuck