[Numpy-discussion] Math Library

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:02:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:32 PM, James Bergstra
<bergstrj at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> could be put out of multiarray proper. Also, exposing an API for
>> things like fancy indexing would be very useful, but I don't know if
>> it even makes sense - I think a pure python implementation of fancy
>> indexing as a reference would be very useful for array-like classes (I
>> am thinking about scipy.sparse, for example).
>>
>> Unfortunately, I won't be able to help much in the near future (except
>> maybe for the fancy indexing as this could be useful for my job),
>>
>> David
>
> Hi, I am also interested in a pure python implementation of fancy
> indexing... at least the array-type fancy indexing, if not the boolean
> kind.  If someone knows of an implementation please let me know.  I'll
> email the list again if I make any serious progress on it.

Until then, I'm interested in a function that takes an index as input
and returns True if fancy indexing is requested, False otherwise. That
might be useful for your function as well. I'd use it so that my
__getitem__ method can at least say that fancy indexing is not
supported.