[Numpy-discussion] IPythonQt and IPythonZMQ projects

Gerardo Gutierrez muzgash.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 22:20:11 EDT 2010

Hi all.

I'm writting to tell you about some projects we're developing for you and
the entire python programmers community.
Read some of the documentation of the proposals and please tell us what are
your ideas and what do you want or expect  to see of this.

I'm going to leave you a summary and some links:

*IPythonQt*
We will implement a Qt-based Graphical User Interface (GUI) to execute
Python code with an interpreter that runs in a separate process and the two
systems (GUI frontend and interpreter kernel) communicating via the ZeroMQ
Messaging library. The bulk of the implementation will be done without
dependencies on IPython (only on Zmq). Once the key features are ready,
IPython-specific features can be added using the IPython codebase.

*links*:
http://ipythonqt.blogspot.com/
https://code.launchpad.net/~ipython-contrib/ipython/qt-frontend

*IPythonZMQ*
IPython's execution in a command-line environment will be ported to a two
process model using the ZeroMQ library for inter-process communication. This
will:

- prevent an interpreter crash from destroying the user session,
- allow multiple clients to interact simultaneously with a single
interpreter
- allow IPython to reuse code for local execution and distributed computing
(DC)
- give us a path for Python3 support, since ZeroMQ supports Python3 while
Twisted (what we use today for DC) does not.

*links*:
http://ipythonzmq.blogspot.com/
https://code.launchpad.net/~ipython-contrib/+junk/ipython-zmq

Best regards.