[Numpy-discussion] Numpy compilation error

Pradeep Jha jhapk at utias.utoronto.ca
Sun Apr 18 14:32:01 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am running python 2.4.4. I installed numpy using the command*
*

*python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME/**bin*

my site-packages directory got installed to the following address:*

/nfs/carv/d1/people/pradeep/bin/lib/python2.4*

in my preconfig file I changed the path to the following as you recommended
*
# If numpy was installed using the --home option, set this to the
# home directory for numpy. This will be needed for all numpy installations
# that don't put the include files into python's native include directory.
NUMPY_HOME=${NUMPY_HOME:="/nfs/carv/d1/people/pradeep/bin/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include"}
*
I still get the following warning message when I run the preconfig file:*
checking for python2... /usr/bin/python2
Python command set by configure to  /usr/bin/python2
WARNING: NUMPY include dir
/nfs/carv/d1/people/pradeep/bin/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include/include/python
does not exist.
setting NUMPY_INC_DIR to
/nfs/carv/d1/people/pradeep/bin/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include/include/python
*

Whats going wrong? The warning is right, as there is no directory
called *python
*on that address.

Just to give you the structure of the installed packages, I am attaching the
output to the cd and ls commands:

*[pradeep at scaramanga lib]$ls
python2.4
[pradeep at scaramanga lib]$cd python2.4/
[pradeep at scaramanga python2.4]$ls
site-packages
[pradeep at scaramanga python2.4]$cd site-packages/
[pradeep at scaramanga site-packages]$ls
numpy
[pradeep at scaramanga site-packages]$cd numpy/
[pradeep at scaramanga numpy]$ls
add_newdocs.py   __config__.pyc  DEV_README.txt  dual.pyc
_import_tools.pyc  lib          matlib.py   random      setupscons.py
tests
add_newdocs.pyc  core            distutils       f2py
__init__.py        LICENSE.txt  matlib.pyc  README.txt  setupscons.pyc
THANKS.txt
COMPATIBILITY    ctypeslib.py    doc             fft
__init__.pyc       linalg       numarray    setup.py    site.cfg.example
version.py
__config__.py    ctypeslib.pyc   dual.py         _import_tools.py
INSTALL.txt        ma           oldnumeric  setup.pyc   testing
version.pyc
[pradeep at scaramanga numpy]$cd core/
[pradeep at scaramanga core]$ls
arrayprint.py     defmatrix.pyc           include       _internal.py
numeric.py        records.pyc        setup_common.pyc  _sort.so
arrayprint.pyc    fromnumeric.py          info.py       _internal.pyc
numeric.pyc       scalarmath.so      setup.py          tests
defchararray.py   fromnumeric.pyc         info.pyc      memmap.py
numerictypes.py   scons_support.py   setup.pyc   umath.so defchararray.pyc
generate_numpy_api.py   __init__.py   memmap.pyc     numerictypes.pyc
scons_support.pyc  setupscons.py     umath_tests.so defmatrix.py
generate_numpy_api.pyc  __init__.pyc  multiarray.so  records.py
setup_common.py    setupscons.pyc
[pradeep at scaramanga core]$cd include/
[pradeep at scaramanga include]$ls
numpy
[pradeep at scaramanga include]$cd numpy/
[pradeep at scaramanga numpy]$ls
arrayobject.h   mingw_amd64_fenv.h  multiarray_api.txt  noprefix.h
npy_cpu.h     npy_interrupt.h  numpyconfig.h  oldnumeric.h   ufunc_api.txt
utils.h arrayscalars.h  __multiarray_api.h  ndarrayobject.h
npy_common.h  npy_endian.h  npy_math.h       old_defines.h  __ufunc_api.h
ufuncobject.h

*
Thanks