[Numpy-discussion] Release candidate 3 for NumPy 1.4.1 and SciPy 0.7.2

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 21 09:03:27 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Sebastian Haase <seb.haase at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > It seems I've crawled a bit further up the learning curve since last time
> > tried. Scipy binaries for python 2.5 (built against numpy 1.2) are now on
> > Sourceforge, please test them.
> >
> What does "built against numpy 1.2" actually mean exactly ? Is that
> just a "building time" thing and they actually work together (at run
> time) with numpy 1.4.1 ? That would be all fine then ... what
> platform(s) are you talking about ? (What about Windows?)
>
> Correct, and it's the same for Windows and OS X binaries. Some scipy
modules include a numpy header file (mostly arrayobject.h). This is now
forward-compatible, so scipy compiled against numpy 1.2 works with 1.3 and
1.4.1 as well.

It won't work with numpy 2.0 though, and was the reason for the issues with
numpy 1.4.0. In 1.4.0 the layout of the ndarray object in memory changed
(hence this minor release to undo that change), causing segfaults when used
with scipy or other extensions compiled against older numpy.

Cheers,
Ralf