[Numpy-discussion] Numpy compilation error

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 21 13:23:29 EDT 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> I don't think it is wise to advocate the use of develop for python
> newcomers.

Fair enough.

What I know is that every scheme I've come up with for working with my
own under-development packages has been a pain in the #$@, and -develop
has worked well for me.

> The easy and reliable solution for non root install is PYTHONPATH for
> python < 2.6 and install --user for python >= 2.6.

I hadn't read the thread carefully enough to realize that the OP was
asking about a non-root install, but in any case, I'd still encourage
that folks set ONE standard place in their PYTHONPATH, rather than one
for each package, and make sure you're careful about running more than
one version of Python.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov