[Numpy-discussion] My GSoC Proposal to Implement a Subset of NumPy for PyPy

Dan Roberts ademan555 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 15:56:22 EDT 2010

Wow, that's a very cool idea. I think that's an excellent approach to
allowing user RPython functions.  Maciej expressed concern this could create
a support burden for RPython for the core PyPy developers (There aren't many
of them).  I think, handled correctly, this could help create a community
knowledgable about RPython that could support it, but initially I would be
the only one supporting this use.
    I think the best approach would be to provide a similar fast_vectorize()
in addition to accelerating normal python looping constructs with the JIT
compiler, that way we can have faster code without even trying.
  I'm going to be contacting the author of that paper to see what its
implementation status is, as the paper mentioned he was trying to get it
into SciPy.
   Sorry about the latency, I tend to make multiple drafts of my emails
before I send them...

On Apr 21, 2010 5:20 AM, "Dag Sverre Seljebotn" <dagss at student.matnat.uio.no>
wrote:

Dan Roberts wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. You're certainly right that your work is
> extremely be...
This might be relevant?

http://conference.scipy.org/proceedings/SciPy2008/paper_16/

--