[Numpy-discussion] Recommended way to add Cython extension using numpy.distutils?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:09:50 EDT 2010

Hi,

We (neuroimaging.scipy.org) are using numpy.distutils, and we have
.pyx files that we build with Cython.

I wanted to add these in our current setup.py scripts, with something like:

def configuration(parent_package='',top_path=None):
    from numpy.distutils.misc_util import Configuration
    config = Configuration('statistics', parent_package, top_path)
    config.add_extension('intvol',
                         ['intvol.pyx'], include_dirs = [np.get_include()])
    return config

but of course numpy only knows about Pyrex, and returns:

error: Pyrex required for compiling
'nipy/algorithms/statistics/intvol.pyx' but notavailable

Is there a recommended way to plumb Cython into the numpy build
machinery?  Should I try and patch numpy distutils to use Cython if
present?

Best,

Matthew