[Numpy-discussion] Mathematical language for reasoning about numpy like arrays?

John Salvatier jsalvati at u.washington.edu
Sun Aug 1 14:34:05 EDT 2010

Is anyone aware of a good mathematical language to describe and reason about
how numpy arrays work (broadcastable ndarrays)? I am particularly interested
in reasoning about linear maps from one ndarray to another. Clearly ndarrays
can be thought of as regular vectors and you can reason about them using
linear algebra, but their ndimensionality and broadcasting also gives them
more structure which gives them some interesting properties which I would
like to reason about.

John