[Numpy-discussion] dtype.type for structured arrays

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Fri Aug 6 20:07:21 EDT 2010

On Jul 24, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I create a structured array with vector columns:

> then examine the type of the column, I get:

> dtype(('float64',(2,)))
>
> Then, if I try and view the numerical type, I see:

> <type 'numpy.void'>
>
> I have to basically do

> dtype('float64')
>
> to get what I need. I seem to remember that this used not to be the case, and that even for vector columns, one could access array.dtype[0].type to get the numerical type. Is this a bug, or deliberate?

This looks the same as I remember it.   The dtype is a structured array with the filed name 'a' having an element which is a vector of floats.   As a result, the first dtype[0] extracts the vector of floats dtype.   This must be type "void" because it is a vector of floats.  To get to the underlying type, you have to do what you did.  I don't see how it would have worked another way in the past.

-Travis