[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.5.0 beta 2

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 08:50:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu> wrote:

> On 8/17/2010 9:56 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu
> > <mailto:cgohlke at uci.edu>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 8/17/2010 1:02 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >  On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Christoph Gohlke <
> cgohlke at uci.edu
> >     <mailto:cgohlke at uci.edu>
> >     >  <mailto:cgohlke at uci.edu <mailto:cgohlke at uci.edu>>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >      On 8/17/2010 8:23 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> >     >
> >     >          I am pleased to announce the availability of the second
> >     beta of
> >     >          NumPy
> >     >          1.5.0. This will be the first NumPy release to include
> >     support for
> >     >          Python 3, as well as for Python 2.7.
> >     >
> >     >          Please try this beta and report any problems on the NumPy
> >     >          mailing list.
> >     >          Especially with Python 3 testing will be very useful. On
> Linux
> >     >          and OS X
> >     >          building from source should be straightforward, for
> >     Windows a binary
> >     >          installer is provided. There is one important known issue
> >     on Windows
> >     >          left, in fromfile and tofile (ticket 1583).
> >     >
> >     >          Binaries, sources and release notes can be found at
> >     >  https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/
> >     >  <https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/>
> >     >
> >     >          Enjoy,
> >     >          Ralf
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >      NumPy 1.5.0 beta 2 built with msvc9/mkl for Python 2.7 and 3.1
> (32
> >     >      and 64 bit) still reports many (> 200) warnings and three
> >     known test
> >     >      failures/errors. Nothing serious, but it would be nice to
> clean up
> >     >      before the final release.
> >     >
> >     >      The warnings are of the type "Warning: invalid value
> >     encountered in"
> >     >      for the functions reduce, fmax, fmin, logaddexp, maximum,
> greater,
> >     >      less_equal, greater_equal, absolute, and others. I do not see
> >     any of
> >     >      these warnings in the msvc9 builds of numpy 1.4.1.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >  The warnings were accidentally turned off for earlier versions of
> >     Numpy.
> >     >  I expect these warnings are related to nans and probably due to
> >     problems
> [...]
Looks like we should just rewrite the ufuncs. Having these checks will slow
things down a bit but it is probably the easiest way to make things portable
without doing a lot of complicated work to determine what the platform does.
However, this means that numpy won't ever set exceptions when nans are
encountered and this is a design decision we should make up front.

Chuck