[Numpy-discussion] mingw-w64 tutorial ?

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 02:16:57 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Sebastian Haase <seb.haase at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu> wrote:

>>> Hi Christoph,
>>>
>>> I did not exactly know this - thanks for the info (I knew about
>>> something called Visual Studio Express 2003- but that only
>>> works/worked for Python 2.5, I think...)
>>
>> You can use Visual Studio Express 2008 for building 32 bit extensions
>> for Python >=2.6.
>>

>>> Rephrasing my original question: Is the mingw-w64 at all "easy" by now
>>
>> Don't know. David Cournapeau probably has the most experience.
>>
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue4709
>> http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?call=fortran
>>
>>> ? How about cross compiling to 64bit Windows from a 32bit Ubuntu (that
>>> I could easily run on virtualbox) ?
>>
>> I am also interested in cross compiling on Ubuntu but have not found the
>> time to get started. The IOCBio project cross-compiles their 32 bit
>> extensions on Linux
>> <http://code.google.com/p/iocbio/wiki/BuildWindowsInstallersOnLinux>.
>> But as you can see they use Wine and Mingw...
>>

>>> (But I'm not apposed at all to the "free" Windows 7 Platform SDK, so
>>> I'll look into that -- giant download !?)
>>
>> About one GB.
>>

> Do you know if that contains a C++ compiler ?  The first page before
> it starts the actual download has "Visual C++ Compilers" grayed out
> ... !?
>
> -Sebastian

Ok, apparently I had to install the "dot NET Framework 4" from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx
first, before then the C++ could be installed.
But now setup.py still complains:
       error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat
and I think it is looking for
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0
while that file got installed in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0
I don't know how to get the "log.debug" messages from the setup.py
script activated...
?
Still trying ....

Cheers,