[Numpy-discussion] Github migration?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:20:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Jason McCampbell <jmccampbell at enthought.com
> wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> I will update the wiki page on the Numpy developer site that discusses the
> refactoring this week.  Right now what's there reflects our plans before
> they met the reality of code.  Needless to say, the actual implementation
> differs in some of the details.
>
> Here is a very brief overview of the structure:
>
> - The libndarray directory now contains all of the code for the 'core'
> library.  This library is independent of Python and implements most of the
> array, descriptor, iterator, and ufunc functionality.  The goal is that all
> non-trivial behavior should be in here, but in reality some parts are tied
> fairly tightly to the CPython interpreter and will take more work to move
> into the core.
>
> - numpy/core/src/multiarray and numpy/core/src/umath now implement "just"
> the CPython interface to libndarray.  We have preserved both the Python
> interface and the C API.  Ideally each C API function is just a simple
> wrapper around a call to the core API, though it doesn't always work out
> that way. However, a large amount of code has been moved out of these
> modules into the core.
>
> - The core is built as a shared library that is independent of any given
> interface layer.  That is, the same shared library/DLL can be used with
> CPython, IronPython and any other implementation.  Each interface is
> required to pass in a set of callbacks for handling reference counting,
> object manipulation, and other interface-specific behavior.
>
> - The core implements its own reference counting semantics that happen to
> look very much like CPython's.  This was necessary to make the core library
> independent of the interface layer and preserve performance (ie, limit the
> number of callbacks).  The handshaking between interface and core is a bit
> complicated but ends up working nicely and efficiently for both reference
> counted and garbage collected systems.  I'll write up the details on the
> wiki page.
>
> - As Travis mentioned we are also working on a .NET back end to Cython.
>  This lets us port the modules such as MTRAND without having to have two
> separate interfaces, a Cython and a .NET version.  Instead, we can modify
> the existing .pyx file to use the new core API (should improve performance
> in CPython version slightly).  Once done, Cython can generate the .NET and
> CPython interfaces from the same .pyx file.
>
> We have done a fair amount of cleanup on the naming conventions but
> certainly more needs to be done!
>
> I'll write it up for everyone this week but feel free to email me with
> other questions.

Thanks for the summary, it clarifies things a lot. On my cleanup wish list,
some of the functions use macros that contain jumps, which is not so nice.
I've been intending to scratch that itch for several years now but haven't
gotten around to it. I expect such things have a lower priority than getting
the basic separation of functionality in place, but just in case...

<snip>

Chuck