[Numpy-discussion] Refactor fork uses the ./configure, make, make install process.

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 19:41:17 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> Technically, the move could be done like this, so that merge tracking
> still works:
>
>           --------refactor--------------- new-refactor
>          /                            /
>         /--------libndarray----------x
>   start---------------------- master----- new-master

Switching to use libndarray is a big ABI+API change, right?  If there's an
idea to release an ABI-compatible 1.6, wouldn't this end up being more
difficult?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding this idea.

I looked a little bit at the 1.4.0 ABI issue, and if the only blocking
problem was the cast[] array in ArrFuncs, I think that can be worked around
without too much difficulty.  Would people want an ABI-compatible 1.6
release adding date-time and float16?

-Mark