[Numpy-discussion] Can I add rows and columns to recarray?

Wai Yip Tung tungwaiyip at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 22:56:51 EST 2010

I'm fairly new to numpy and I'm trying to figure out the right way to do
things. Continuing on my question about using recarray as a relation. I
have a recarray like this

In [339]: arr = np.array([
    .....:     (1, 2.2, 0.0),
    .....:     (3, 4.5, 0.0)
    .....:     ],
    .....:     dtype=[
    .....:         ('unit',int),
    .....:         ('price',float),
    .....:         ('amount',float),
    .....:     ]
    .....: )

In [340]: data = arr.view(recarray)

One of the most common thing I want to do is to append rows to data.  I
think concatenate() might be the method. But I get a problem:

In [342]: np.concatenate((data0,[1,9.0,9.0]))
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

c:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\numpy\<ipython console> in <module>()

TypeError: expected a readable buffer object

The other thing I want to do is to calculate the column value. Right now
it can do great thing like

In [343]: data.amount = data.unit * data.price

But sometimes it may require me to add a new column not already exist,
e.g.:

In [344]: data.discount_price = data.price * 0.9

How can I add a new column? I tried column_stack. But it give a similar
TypeError. I figure I need to first specify the type of the column. But I
don't know how.

Thanks,

Wai Yip