[Numpy-discussion] Links to doc guidelines broken

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 09:16:13 EST 2010

Howdy,

In the ipython doc guide (and many other places) we point to the numpy
coding guidelines (especially for documentation), but today while
conducting a sprint at the Scipy India conference,  I noticed this
link is now dead:

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines

It seems the docs got moved over to github, which is fine:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/HOWTO_DOCUMENT.rst.txt

but it would be really nice if whoever went through the Trac wiki
deleting stuff could have left a link pointing to the new proper
location of this document.  For those who knew what they were looking
for it's easy enough to find it againg with a bit of googling around,
but newcomers who may be trying to read these guidelines and simply
get Trac's version of a 404 are likely to be left confused.

I realize that in moving to a new infrastructure broken links are hard
to avoid, but for documents as widely used as the numpy coding
guidelines, perhaps leaving a link to the new location in the old
location would be a good idea...

I fixed the page with a github link, but there may be other important
pages needing a similar treatment, and I think as a policy it's
generally a good idea to leave proper redirects when important pages
are deleted.

Thanks