[Numpy-discussion] Rolling window (moving average, moving std, and more)

Erik Rigtorp erik at rigtorp.com
Fri Dec 31 23:29:14 EST 2010

Hi,

Implementing moving average, moving std and other functions working
over rolling windows using python for loops are slow. This is a
effective stride trick I learned from Keith Goodman's
<kwgoodman at gmail.com> Bottleneck code but generalized into arrays of
any dimension. This trick allows the loop to be performed in C code
and in the future hopefully using multiple cores.

import numpy as np

def rolling_window(a, window):
    """
    Make an ndarray with a rolling window of the last dimension

    Parameters
    ----------
    a : array_like
        Array to add rolling window to
    window : int
        Size of rolling window

    Returns
    -------
    Array that is a view of the original array with a added dimension
    of size w.

    Examples
    --------
    >>> x=np.arange(10).reshape((2,5))
    >>> rolling_window(x, 3)
    array([[[0, 1, 2], [1, 2, 3], [2, 3, 4]],
           [[5, 6, 7], [6, 7, 8], [7, 8, 9]]])

    Calculate rolling mean of last dimension:
    >>> np.mean(rolling_window(x, 3), -1)
    array([[ 1.,  2.,  3.],
           [ 6.,  7.,  8.]])

    """
    if window < 1:
        raise ValueError, "`window` must be at least 1."
    if window > a.shape[-1]:
        raise ValueError, "`window` is too long."
    shape = a.shape[:-1] + (a.shape[-1] - window + 1, window)
    strides = a.strides + (a.strides[-1],)
    return np.lib.stride_tricks.as_strided(a, shape=shape, strides=strides)

Using np.swapaxes(-1, axis) rolling aggregations over any axis can be computed.

I submitted a pull request to add this to the stride_tricks module.

Erik