[Numpy-discussion] which Python for OS X to build installers?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 1 06:27:54 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With only a few changes (see diff below) to pavement.py I managed to
> build a
> > dmg installer. For this I used the Python in the bootstrap virtualenv
> > however, instead of the one in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/.
> Does
> > this matter?
>
> Yes it does. The binary installers should target the python from
> python.org, nothing else.
>
> > For making releases, would I need the framework build? Do I need 32- and
> > 64-bit versions of Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6?
>
> The python from python.org do not support 64 bits (yet), so just build
> for ppc/x86. I never bothered with ppc64, and I think we can actually
> give up on ppc soon.

Thanks David, that's clear.

Can anyone please confirm that the MD5 checksum for the OS X installer for
2.6.4 at www.python.org/download/releases/ is
745494373683081a04cc71522f7c440e? I found an alternative download at
openlogic.com, but if it's not the same as the python.org version then I
won't bother with it.

Cheers,
Ralf