David Cournapeau david at silveregg.co.jp
Tue Feb 2 22:23:36 EST 2010

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 21:08, David Cournapeau <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
>> Robert Kern wrote:
>>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 20:23, Neil Martinsen-Burrell <nmb at wartburg.edu> wrote:
>>> This is useful feature for more than just datetime
>>> support and should be complete and useful at this time.
>> Couldn't this be kept independently of the datetime support ? At least
>> as far as the PyArray_ArrFuncs is concerned, that's the datime type
>> which broke the ABI, not the metadata. Does the metadata support needs
>> anything else besides the metadata pointer in the descriptor structure ?
>
> There are a number of other code changes beyond just the pointer, yes,
> but the PyArray_ArrFuncs is not one of them.

Sorry, my question was badly worded: besides the metadata pointer, is
there any other change related to the metadata infratructure which may
potentially change changes the publicly exported structures ? I wonder
whereas the metadata infrastructure can be kept in 1.4.x independently
of the datetime support without breaking the ABI (assuming it makes
sense to keep the metadata stuff without datetime support in 1.4.x)

cheers,

David