Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 3 12:16:33 EST 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Just so that there is no confusion: it is only about removing it for
> 1.4.x, not about removing datetime altogether. It seems that datetime in
> 1.4.x has few users,

Of course it has few users -- it's brand new!

> whereas breaking ABI is a nuisance for many more
> people. In particular, people who update NumPy 1.4.0 cannot use scipy or
> matplotlib unless they build it by themselves as well - we are talking
> about thousand of people at least assuming sourceforge numbers are accurate.

Is it out of the question to make new builds of those?

Anyway, ABI breakage will happen once in a while -- is it worse to do it
now than any other time?

Do people that don't want (or can't) upgrade scipy/mpl/whatever HAVE to
upgrade numpy?

For my part - I tried 1.4, found it broke a few things, so I downgraded.
Then a bit later, we decided we needed to build a few things anyway, so
have now gone to 1.4 and rebuilt scipy, and out own Cython extensions.

changing it back means that I'd have to do that again -- not a huge
deal, but that's what I meant by "the cat's out of the bag"

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov