Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Thu Feb 4 01:46:17 EST 2010

> A more important scenario is as follows: let's assume we do allow
> breaking the ABI every 1.X release, meaning that an ABI incompatible
> change happens every ~ 6 months at the current pace (using the last
> 2-3
> years as history).

If the issue is having too many releases that are .X releases, then
let's just slow that down.   We are going to have to be able to break
ABI compatibility at some point.  I agree it should not be taken
lightly.    But, we have to allow it to happen.

For example, there has been a change I've wanted to see in the NumPy
data structure ever since 1.0 that I did not make precisely to avoid
breaking ABI compatibility.    The 'hasobject' field in the
PyArray_Descr structure is too small and should be renamed.    There
is a comment in the code stating that this field needs to change as
soon as we are willing to break ABI compatibility (and the field still
hasn't changed).   The comment is still there.  Obviously I have been
cautious about ABI compatibility.  I just never had the opinion that
we would *never* change the ABI.

I don't think there is any disagreement in the general idea that the
ABI should remain stable for a long time.    I think the problem is
that in this particular instance, we had different opinions about the
importance of ABI compatibility for the 1.4 release.   I did not think
it was possible, and was surprised when it was attempted.    I should
have voiced those concerns more loudly.

What about the idea of making a 1.3.1 release that maintains ABI
compatibility with previous releases.  This would basically allow for
1.X releases where .X is even to break ABI compatibility (not saying
they always will, but might).  The odd releases never do.

I will help make the 1.3.1 release if this is an agreeable solution.
This pattern would certainly help create stability while still
allowing change to happen in a reasonable way.

-Travis

--
Travis Oliphant
Enthought Inc.