[Numpy-discussion] Unable to install Numpy

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 8 00:12:17 EST 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Not exactly, although it prevents from building Atlas for 64 bits. The
> main issue is gcc/VS interoperabilities, especially for gfortran.

I thought you didn't need fortran for numpy?

> I don't think it makes sense for NumPy itself to provide
> binaries which do not use open source compilers

um, why not? python itself is built witht he MS compilers.

I have not idea about 64 bit, but the free-of-charge MS compiler seems
to build 32 bit python extensions for 2.6 OK, so you should be able to
build numpy with it (without atlas, of course).

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov