[Numpy-discussion] Building Windows binaries on OS X

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 09:25:13 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi David and all,
>
> I have a few questions on setting up the build environment on OS X for
> Windows binaries. I have Wine installed with Python 2.5 and 2.6, MakeNsis
> and MinGW. The first question is what is meant in the Paver script by "cpuid
> plugin". Wine seems to know what to do with a cpuid instruction, but I can
> not find a plugin. Searching for "cpuid plugin" turns up nothing except the
> NumPy pavement.py file. What is this?
>
> Second question is about Fortran. It's needed for SciPy at least, so I may
> as well get it right now. MinGW only comes with g77, and this page:
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Windows says that this is the default
> compiler. So Fortran 77 on Windows and Fortran 95 on OS X as defaults, is
> that right? No need for g95/gfortran at all?
>
> Final question is about Atlas and friends. Is 3.8.3 the best version to
> install? Does it compile out of the box under Wine? Is this page
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Windows still up-to-date with regard
> to the Lapack/Atlas info and does it apply for Wine?  And do I have to
> compile it three times, with the only difference the '-arch' flag set to
> "SSE2", "SSE3" and "<what's NoSSE?>"?

Currently scipy binaries are build with MingW 3.4.5, as far as I know,
which includes g77. The latest release of MingW uses gfortran, gcc
4.4.0

I think, that, eventually, scipy should switch to gfortran also on
Windows. But it might need some compatibility testing.
And it would be very useful if someone could provide the Lapack/Atlas
binaries, similar to the ones that are on the scipy webpage for mingw
3.4.5. (I don't have a setup where I can build Atlas binaries).

I haven't switched yet, but, given some comments on the mailinglists,
it looks like several windows users are using gfortran without
reported problems.

Josef