Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:17:30 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 16:10, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You don't matter. Nor do I.
>>
>> Jarrod is on the steering committee.
>
> You seem to be pointing out that Darren's vote doesn't count but Jarrod's does.
>
> Really, that's a view of the steering committee idea that seems to me
> a bit miserable.

It's just the way that voting works. Voting cannot work without clear
membership rules. That's why we try to avoid voting as much as
possible. That's why the discussion has gone on so long. We want to
hear everyone's input (especially Darren's) and try to work towards a
consensus solution that everyone can live with. When that fails, and
there is significant dissent over the major solutions at the end of
the discussion, then you fall back to the much inferior voting
mechanism. Making technical decision by a vote is the worst possible
outcome, but it's the last decision mechanism available short of a
BDFL.

Trust me, the steering committee would much prefer not to decide
anything by any means.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."