Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:51:02 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Should the release containing the datetime/hasobject changes be called
>>>
>>> a) 1.5.0
>>> b) 2.0.0
>>
>> My vote goes to b.
>
> I guess Travis' point is that 2.0 implies rather large feature
> difference from - say 1.0.0 - and this isn't the case.

Not that I actually know much about it, but I thought that datetime is
a 'rather large feature' difference both in terms of functionality and
code. Definitely it will allow a unified date/time usage across
various scikits and other projects that have time functions.

>On the other
> hand, I don't see what substantial difference that makes in the long
> run - we can always go to 3.0 for a big rewrite and I don't think
> we'll use any users as a result.  On the other hand we might lose
> users from an ABI change not easily predicted from the version
> numbering.   I guess what I'm saying is we have lots of integers left,
> and they are cheap, and I'd also vote for using one up to get round
> this little hurdle.
>
> Best,
>
> Matthew

Numbers are just numbers especially since Numeric got to version 24.2.
But these numbers have to mean something as both Jarrod and Robert
have indicated.

My vote is for b especially as it provides a nice number to indicate
compatibility to other programs like Cython and potentially Python 3
support (or lack of it).

Bruce