[Numpy-discussion] Emulate left outer join?

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 19:06:38 EST 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 6:52 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 17:47, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> For some reason, numpy.lib.recfunctions isn't in the documentation
>>> editor. I'm not sure why.
>>>
>> Because it's not in np.lib.__all__ .
>
> Then there needs to be a secondary way to add such modules.

All,
I started porting JDH's functions from mlab to numpy.lib because I thought it'd be nice to have them directly in the core of numpy, instead of spread out in another package. However, I wanted to get a lot of feedback before advertising them:
* Should we put matplotlib.mlab functions directly into numpy ? I do think so, even if I think we should make them a tad more generic and not tie them to recarrays (you can do the same thing with structured arrays without the overhead, albeit without the convenience of access-as-attributes).
* If yes to the question above, how should we proceed ? John, you mind committing these functions to numpy.lib.rec_functions yourself ? If you can't, any volunteer (I can do it but it would fall low on my priority list).
Once this is settle, then we could think about a way to present them in the reference and/or user manual (like I did for genfromtxt).
Let me know what y'all think.
P.