[Numpy-discussion] Emulate left outer join?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Wed Feb 10 05:08:54 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 04:49:30PM -0600, John Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> numpy.lib.recfunctions.join_by(key, r1, r2, jointype='leftouter')
> >>

> > And if that isn't sufficient, John has in matplotlib.mlab a few other
> > similar utilities that allow for more complex cases:
>
> The numpy.lib.recfunctions were ported from matplotlib.mlab so most of
> the functionality is overlapping, but we have added some stuff since
> the port, eg matplotlib.mlab.recs_join for a multiway join, and some
> stuff was never ported (rec_summarize, rec_groupby) so it may be worth
> looking in mlab too.  Some of the stuff for mpl is only in svn but
> most of it is released.
>
> Examples are at
>
>   http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/misc/rec_join_demo.html
>   http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/misc/rec_groupby_demo.html

Thank you;  this appears to be one of those packages where a good bit of
the documentation is in the mailing list :)  Or waiting in the typing fingers
of the experts for somebody like me to ask at the right time :)

Someday perhaps I'll find the time to go through the code and
learn what else is there that's not in the pdf book.