Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:20:29 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2010, at 4:08 PM, Darren Dale wrote:
>> I definitely should have counted to 100 before sending that. It wasn't
>> helpful and I apologize.
>
> I actually found this quite funny.    I need to apologize if my previous
> email sounded like I was trying to silence other opinions, somehow.   As
> Robert alluded to in a rather well-written email that touched on resolving
> disagreements, it can be hard to communicate that you are listening to
> opposing views despite the fact that your opinion has not changed.

For what its worth, I feel I have had ample opportunity to make my
concerns known, and at this point will leave it to others to do right
by the numpy user community.

> We have a SciPy steering committee that should be reviewed again this year
> at the SciPy conference.   As Robert said, we prefer not to have to use it
> to decide questions.   I think it has been trotted out as a place holder for
> a NumPy steering committee which has never really existed as far as I know.
>   NumPy decisions in the past have been made by me and other people who are
> writing the code.   I think we have tried pretty hard to listen to all
> points of view before doing anything.

Just a comment: I would like to point out that there is (necessarily)
some arbitrary threshold to who is being recognized as "people who are
actively writing the code". Over the last year, I have posted fixes
for multiple bugs and extended the ufunc wrapping mechanisms
(__array_prepare__) which were included in numpy-1.4.0, and have also
been developing the quantities package, which is intimately tied up
with numpy's development. I don't think that makes me a major
contributor like you or Chuck etc., but I am heavily invested in
numpy's development and an active contributor.

Maybe it would be worth considering an approach where the numpy user
community occasionally nominates a few people to serve on some kind of
steering committee along with the developers. Although if there is
interest in or criticism of this idea, I don't think this is the right
thread to discuss it.

Darren