Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Thu Feb 11 02:03:07 EST 2010

On 11 February 2010 03:22, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think one issue with versions is that they convey multiple things at
> the same time. The number itself conveys an idea of "progress" and
> "features" - the bigger the change in the number, the bigger changes
> are expected by users. This is the part where everyone has an opinion.
>
> Then, there is also the idea that for a library, versions conveys ABI
> and API compatibility, and this should be purely technical IMO. There
> are well established rules here:

You hit the nail on the head; this conflict arose because we did not
have a version policy in place earlier.  An expectation was generated
that NumPy 2.0 would co-incide with a thorough review of the API (an
exercise I hope we complete in the next year or two).

We have a simple decision to make: do we renege on the promise of an
API review for 2.0, or do we neglect the new versioning system?

Since the new versioning system has not been in use all that long (the
reason for this minor upset), we don't stand much to lose by naming
this next ABI-breaking release 1.5.

Regards
Stéfan