Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Thu Feb 11 11:43:18 EST 2010

On 11 February 2010 15:38, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/2/11 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>:
>> On 11 February 2010 09:52, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Simple, eh. The version should be 2.0.
>>
>> I'm going with the element of least surprise: no one will be surprised
>> when 1.5 is released with ABI changes
>
> I'll buy you a doughnut if that turns out to be correct.

Now I wish I said "few people" instead :)

As I read the discussion, I realised that not many people (including
developers) were aware of the versioning policy. Since we did not
follow the policy in the past, there is no precedent (hence, little
surprise).

If we make enough noise (release notes, notification on sourceforge,
post on list, message in installer, etc.) upon releasing "1.5", that
should be ample warning, and it may also be a good trial run for numpy
2.0.

Another suggestion could be to go the Mayavi2 route, with numpy2 being
the completely redesigned library.  Whether that is sane, I don't
know.

Either way, I am quite happy to follow the lead of the release manager
for 1.3.9/1.4.1/2.0.

Regards
Stéfan