[Numpy-discussion] docstring suggestions

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:05:06 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:58,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> doceditor not moin Wiki, that was the policy that Ralf and David
>>> followed since last summer to have all docediting questions in one
>>> place.
>>
>> Is the volume of questions really so large to justify the
>> inconvenience to the questioners? It's one thing to direct someone to,
>> say, the matplotlib list when asking matplotlib questions, but no one
>> is going to guess that they need to go to scipy-dev to ask a question
>> about the doceditor when they run into a problem editing a numpy
>> docstring.
>
> No, I agree with you, short questions can be answered wherever they
> happen, especially if they are on topic.
>
> But, if it turns into a discussion about the internal structure of how
> doc strings are generated, then maybe David can redirect the traffic.

I just don't see the reason for all that hassle, and it is a
substantial hassle. You redirect people in order to get their question
in front of the audience that can help them best or for truly
off-topic discussions. As far as I'm concerned, questions about the
doceditor, which drives the documentation for both numpy and scipy,
are on-topic for any of either of the projects' lists. You don't
redirect people just to keep things tidy. Mailing lists are messy
things no matter what you do.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."