[Numpy-discussion] Multithreading support

Wolfgang Kerzendorf wkerzendorf at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 13 04:20:53 EST 2010

Dear all,

I don't know much about parallel programming so I don't know how easy it is to do that: When doing simple arrray operations like adding two arrays or adding a number to the array, is numpy able to put this on multiple cores? I have tried it but it doesnt seem to do that. Is there a special multithread implementation of numpy.

IDL has this feature where it checks how many cores available and uses them. This feature in numpy would make an already amazing package even better.

Is this feature coming in numpy? Is there some sort of ETA on that?
Thanks in advance
   Wolfgang