[Numpy-discussion] numpy 2.0, what else to do?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 11:24:35 EST 2010

Hi All,

Since there has been talk of deprecating the numarray and numeric
compatibility parts of numpy for the upcoming 2.0 release I thought maybe we
could consider a few other changes. First, numpy imports a ton of stuff by
default and this is maintained for backward compatibility. Would this be a
reasonable time to change that and require explicit imports for things like
fft? Second, Poly1D has problems that aren't likely to get fixed, I would
like to both deprecate the old polynomial support and make it not be
imported by default.

Thoughts?

Chuck