[Numpy-discussion] numpy 2.0, what else to do?

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Sat Feb 13 15:34:57 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:
> This is exactly what I was worried about with calling the next release
> 2.0.
>
> This is not the time to change all the things we wish were done
> differently.
>
> The release is scheduled for 3 weeks.

Hey Travis,

I agree with your general sentiment (and I assume Chuck does too).
And I don't think either of us is suggesting that we change all the
things we want done differently.  I do think that it is reasonable for
us to suggest a few changes that could be implemented quickly to the
list and just have a quick up or down vote on that specific issue
without having to have a general discussion regarding what 2.0 is.

So there are at least three suggestions on the table right now:

1.  I would like to add deprecation warnings for the numarray and
numeric support (but leave all the code in at least until the 3.0
release).

2.  Chuck proposed requiring explicit imports for things like fft.

3.  Chuck also suggested deprecating the old polynomial support and
make it not be imported by default.

These things are relatively small and easy to implement.  If someone
is willing to do the work within, say a week, I think we should go for
it.  I am sure others may disagree.

Why can't we just agree that the release is scheduled for 3 weeks from
now.  And if someone suggests a change that they commit to
implementing in one weeks time and that won't require very much new
code (for instance a deprecation warning), let's just vote for or
against it.  If it seems like people are generally in favor of the
change, let's include it.

So without changing the timing of the next release, would you still be
against the three changes suggested by Chuck and me?  I am in favor of
making the above three changes as long as they don't add a ton of new
code, functionality, or delay the release in any way.  What do other
people think?

Thanks,
Jarrod