[Numpy-discussion] ask.scipy.org

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 17:06:09 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 16:00, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since after Robert Kern showed http://advice.mechanicalkern.com/ on SciPy09
> there are many similar initiatives that uses stackoverflow.com (SO) layout.
> Some smart guys come up with this site http://stackexchange.com/ to those
> who want to have a simple but a paid solution.

Indeed, stackexchange.com is the paid hosting option from the Stack
Overflow team.

> I don't have an intention of creating controversial discussion. It just to
> my eyes SO has a very appealing and easy to use interface and it's getting
> some number of posts related to scientific Python tools. I usually suggest
> my friends to use the mailing lists first and SO for their questions. Some
> prefer mailing lists some not. Mailing lists require more steps to get in
> however SO register step is much easier due to OpenID logging.
>
> Without belabouring further, It would be good to link R. Kern's advice site
> to either ask.scipy or advice.scipy or another alternative to attract
> new-comers easily. I am more in favor of the ask.scipy.org option. Thus I
> can refer the people (hear I mean mostly non-programmers or
> students/programmers without Python experience), simply to go ask.scipy.org
> for their first questions instead of telling them to search answers at many
> different mediums.
>
> What do you think?

I spent some time on Friday getting Plurk's Solace tweaked for our use
(for various reasons, it's much better code to deal with than the
CNPROG software currently running advice.mechanicalkern.com).

  http://opensource.plurk.com/Solace/

I still need to investigate how to migrate the content from the old
site over, but ask.scipy.org should be up and running quite soon.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco