[Numpy-discussion] numpy + ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) + unladen swallow

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 12:43:47 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/22/2010 08:46 AM, Valery Khamenya wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know the formula works, but fail to reproduce it :)
>>
>> Issue #1. the following entry from numpy installation docs is perhaps
>> out-of-date, at least as for ubuntu karmic:
>>
>>    sudo apt-get install gcc g77 python-dev atlas3-base-dev
>>
>> Neither g77 nor atlas3-base-dev are available.
>>
>> Perhaps, g77 from previous ubuntu distro could work, but it would be
>> good to see what installation docs says about this trick.
>>

> You only need a C compiler for numpy. I do not use Ubuntu so I can not
> help with it.

Also (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe gfortran is used
in place of g77 as part of gcc >= 4.0 on ubuntu.  I think you want
libatlas-base-dev (from a quick look at the *ubuntu repo), as well,
though I've never used this package.  Someone else will have to
confirm if it works, as I know there have been problems with packages
in the past (on suse for me).

>> Issue #2. The following definition of include_dirs in site.cfg doesn't
>> seem to be used by gcc:
>>
>>    [DEFAULT]
>>    include_dirs = /usr/local/include:/home/me/wrk/unladen-trunk/Include

Also, for Kubuntu (at least on my install), the dir is /usr/include.
You might want to have a look and see which one contains your headers.

Skipper