[Numpy-discussion] datetime uses API deprecated in python3.1

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Mon Feb 22 15:45:59 EST 2010

ma, 2010-02-22 kello 13:25 -0700, Charles R Harris kirjoitti:
[clip]
>                 It looks like context is the new name for desc, so
>                 that PyCObject_FromVoidPtrAndDesc can be implemented
>                 as two calls.
>
>                 I think it is a bit tricky to implement these as
>                 macros, getting the return back from a multi call
>                 substitution can be doable with a comma expression,
>                 but I think a better route is to define our own
>                 library of compatible functions, prepending npy_ to
>                 the current PyCObject functions.
[clip]

I think we can just put static functions into npy_3kcompat.h. They're
anyway going to be short.

[clip: destructors]
> So, I think it isn't a big problem to do this with #ifdef's in the
> code. That is the way I'm going unless you object.

No objection here. I don't see any other way to deal with the destructor
issue.

> I'm not sure if using PyCapsule objects will make pickled arrays
> incompatible between py2k and py3k, but so it goes.

The pickled arrays are, IIRC, only backward compatible, so that Py2
pickles can be opened with Py3, but not vice versa. This is because of
the str versus unicode issue.

	Pauli