[Numpy-discussion] datetime uses API deprecated in python3.1

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Feb 23 17:40:25 EST 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 1:03 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> ma, 2010-02-22 kello 14:01 -0700, Charles R Harris kirjoitti:
> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> [clip]
> >  > Why? PyCObjects don't serialize at all. They would never show
> up in
> > > a pickle to begin with.
> >
> > So what happens to them? I'm not that familiar with pickles
>
> arraydescr_reduce pulls out the datetime info from the metadata dict,
> and converts it to a tuple containing something pickleable. And
> everything in reverse in *_setstate
>

> Everything works except the import of the {ufunc, multiarray} api's
> from the modules. If the api's are stored as PyCObjects then all the
> tests pass. I'll try to get that last bit fixed up tomorrow.

Just back from PyCon.   It is useful to know that the Python core team
feels that NumPy porting to 3k is a *big* deal.

Lots of people would be interested in your experiences with porting
NumPy to Python 3k.   In particular, the fact that they removed APIs
and the extra pain that causes is useful information in their decision
making.

I'm not sure how big a deal it is that we have to change the API to
handle PyCapsules instead of PyCObjects, but if you have any feedback
to the python core dev team, they would be interested in hearing it
--- particularly right after PyCon.

-Travis

> Chuck

Travis Oliphant