[Numpy-discussion] 1.4.0 installer fails on OSX 10.6.2

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Tue Jan 5 15:45:51 EST 2010

neil weisenfeld wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having an odd problem with the package installer for numpy 1.4.0.
> It complains:
>
> numpy 1.4.0 can't be installed on this disk. numpy requires System
> Python 2.6 to install.

I think the problem is that the message is misleading; it should be
saying you need python from python.org, *not* the python that comes with
OSX.  (The two coexist; installing python from python.org does not
interfere with OSX's use of its own python.  Caveat: I don't use Mac
myself, so I am basing all this on second-hand experience--helping with
a numpy installation a few minutes ago--and what I remember seeing.  I
think there is a mailing list thread about this, but I couldn't find it.)

Eric