[Numpy-discussion] [Pythonmac-SIG] 1.4.0 installer fails on OSX 10.6.2

David Cournapeau david at silveregg.co.jp
Thu Jan 7 21:07:03 EST 2010

Christopher Barker wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Christopher Barker
>>> In the past, I think folks' have used the default
>>> name provided by bdist_mpkg, and those are not always clear. Something like:
>>>

>>> numpy1.4-osx10.4-python.org2.6-32bit.dmg
>> The 32 bits is redundant - we support all archs supported by the
>> official python binary, so python.org is enough.
>
> True, though I was anticipating that there may be 32 and 64 bit builds
> some day.

I suspect it will be exactly as today, i.e. a universal build with 64
bits. I have not followed closely the discussion on python-dev on that
topic, but I believe python 2.7 sill contain 64 bits as an arch.

> What OS/architecture were those built with?

Snow Leopard.

> When I first installed the binary, I got a whole bunch of errors because
> "matrix' wasn't found. I recalled this issue from testing, and cleared
> out the install, then re-installed, and all was fine. I wonder if it's
> possible to have a mpkg remove anything?

pkg does not have a uninstaller - I don't think Apple provides one,
that's a known limitation of Mac OS X installers (although I believe
there are 3rd party ones)

> I think both of those are known issues, and not a big deal.

Maybe the spacing function is wrong on PPC. The underlying is highly
architecture dependent.

David