[Numpy-discussion] TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

David Cournapeau david at silveregg.co.jp
Mon Jan 11 23:33:33 EST 2010

Jankins wrote:

> What should I do? And I couldn't even successfully install scipy in
> Ubuntu 9.10 neither by "easy_install" or "source compilation". I am so
> desperate.

Don't use easy_install, and install from sources with python setup.py
install, both numpy and scipy, after having installed the following
packages:

sudo apt-get install gfortran python-dev libatlas-base-dev python-nose

Before doing so, you should remove both the build directories (rm -rf
build in your source tree) and the previously installed numpy/scipy if
any (in /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ on Ubuntu 9.10).

You should then be able to test your installations doing something like:

python -c "import numpy; numpy.test(); import scipy; scipy.test()"

cheers,

David