[Numpy-discussion] Waf or scons/numscons for a C/Fortran/Cython/Python project -- what's your recommendation?

Kurt Smith kwmsmith at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 16:28:32 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<dagss at student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:

> Not that I really know anything about it, but note that one of the
> purposes of David's toydist is to handle the install stage independently
> of the build system used. That is, it is able to create e.g. Python eggs
> without using setuptools.
>
> The thing is, installing Python software is something of a mess, and
> every system would want this done differently (making an Ubuntu package,
> creating a DMG, or creating a Python egg are all different things). So I
> think it makes sense to decouple this from the build in the tools that
> are used.

Yep.  Good points.  I expect once I get the configure/build stages in
a working state, I'll have most of what people need.  The install
stage is less crucial, at least for the first version.  Seems like
people would like the system to just create a .so file in the current
directory, and leave it at that.  If I can get that working on all
platforms I'll be very happy :-)

> Of course, toydist is beta, and I dare say you have enough beta
> dependencies for fwrap already :-)

:-)

Hopefully that can be remedied that in the coming months, at least
from the fparser and memoryview-support-in-Cython side of things.