[Numpy-discussion] performance matrix multiplication vs. matlab

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:57:20 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:18, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/17 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>:

>>> This doesn't apply to Eigen which is a header-only pure template
>>> library, hence can't be 'linked' to.
>>>
>>> Actually you seem to be referring to Section 4 of the LGPL3, we have
>>> already asked the FSF about this and their reply was that it just
>>> doesn't apply in the case of Eigen:
>>>
>>> http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen/2009/01/msg00083.html
>>>
>>> In your case, what matters is Section 5.
>>
>> You mean Section 3. Good.
>
> Section 3 is for using Eigen directly in a C++ program, yes, but I got
> a bit ahead of myself there: see below
>
>> I admit to being less up on the details of
>> LGPLv3 than I was of LGPLv2 which had a problem with C++ header
>> templates.
>
> Indeed, it did, that's why we don't use it.
>

>> That said, we will not be using the C++ templates directly in numpy
>> for technical reasons (not least that we do not want to require a C++
>> compiler for the default build). At best, we would be using a BLAS
>> interface which requires linking of objects, not just header
>> templates. That *would* impose the Section 4 requirements.
>
> ... or rather Section 5: that is what I was having in mind:
>  " 5. Combined Libraries. "
>
> I have to admit that I don't understand what 5.a) means.

I don't think it applies. Let's say I write some routines that use an
LGPLed Library (let's call them Routines A). I can include those
routines in a larger library with routines that do not use the LGPLed
library (Routines B). The Routines B can be under whatever license you
like. However, one must make a library containing only Routines A and
the LGPLed Library and release that under the LGPLv3, distribute it
along with the combined work, and give notice about how to obtain
Routines A+Library separate from Routines B. Basically, it's another
exception for needing to be able to relink object code in a particular
technical use case.

This cannot apply to numpy because we cannot break out numpy.linalg
from the rest of numpy. Even if we could, we do not wish to make
numpy.linalg itself LGPLed.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."