[Numpy-discussion] performance matrix multiplication vs. matlab

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 12:12:03 EST 2010

On 01/18/2010 10:46 AM, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> 2010/1/18 Robert Kern<robert.kern at gmail.com>:

>>> Ah, that I didn't know.

>>> OK, I didn't understand that.

>>> OK, so the Eigen code inside of NumPy would still be protected by the
>>> LGPL. But what I meant when I said that the LGPL requirements don't
>>> propagate to your users, was that, for example, they don't have to
>>> distribute copies of the LGPL text, installation information for
>>> Eigen, or links to Eigen's website.
>>>
>> Yes, they do. They are redistributing Eigen; they must abide by its
>> license in all respects. It doesn't matter how much it is wrapped.
>>
> Well this is where I'm not sure if I agree, I am asking the FSF right
> now as, if this were the case, I too would find such a clause very
> inconvenient for users.

If you obtain the code from any package then you are bound by the terms
of that code. So while a user might not be 'inconvenienced' by the LGPL,
they are required to meet the terms as required. For some licenses (like
the LGPL) these terms do not really apply until you distribute the code
but that does not mean that the user is exempt from the licensing terms
of that code because they have not distributed their code (yet).

Furthermore there are a number of numpy users that download the numpy
project for further distribution such as Enthought, packagers for Linux
distributions and developers of projects like Python(x,y). Some of these
users would be inconvenienced because binary-only distributions would
not be permitted in any form.

Bruce